Friday, July 17, 2009

You say it's your birthday...

... it's my birthday, too.

OK, I know I used that same title on my birthday post from last year, but you know "if it isn't broken...".

So, since it's the start of the day, I can't tell you what's in store for the rest of the day. I can tell you that I took the day off to do whatever I want to do. I love to have me some "me time".

I thought I'd share some photos of something I did 4 years ago on my birthday. You see, my dad's birthday is July 3rd (exactly two weeks before mine each year). That year I took him to get a glider ride out near North Plains. We've driven by there on Hwy 26 for years, but had never checked it out. Needless to say, he thought it was pretty cool and so when my special day came along a couple weeks later he offered the same thing to me. So, of course I had to do it.

Here is the glider I rode in. Very rainbowish.


Getting ready to go.


The tow plane is pulling us along.


And we have lift off.






It was really cool! It felt kind of like going on a huge carnival ride. It was strange to be floating around in the sky, with just a little wind noise. It was a beautiful day!


Here's the self portrait shot with my pilot behind me.


The pilot was great. I wish I could remember his name. He let me take the controls for a bit. He tried to talk me into becoming a pilot. That sounds pretty fun, but the last thing I need is another hobby. The ones I have are expensive enough.

Well, here's to a great year, the last one of my 30's - yikes!

5 comments:

young family said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!

That is so funny that you did this, I was going to check it out but wanted to talk to someone who had done it first. Safety first right? ;) Did it scare you at all, I am such a chicken, but I love doing stuff. Now I have to go do it, if Kandi can do it I can too ;)

Sparkplug17 said...

Happy birthday! I hope you have a fun weekend! And lots of crafting goodies! :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kandi!
Love your glider pictures. I tell the kids evertime we drive by them that you did that for your birthday. Malia always has tons of questions, so the pictures were perfect.
Hope dinner was great. I could use some breadsticks about now....any left?

Tari said...

You are AMAZING!!!!! I'm such a chicken, I could never do that!!! Your pics are great!!! Now I feel like I have "been there, done that!!" :)

Marin said...

I'm right behind you! Would love to have some of that excitement. Happy Birthday!